Sunday 7 October 2012

Dry Hair...Don't Care??


I can still remember the first time I highlighted my hair. I was 16 years old, and thought I could get away with chunky blonde streaks without my mom noticing. Boy was I wrong... 

She was right about one thing, though. Once you start colouring your hair, it's almost impossible to stop. Well, it is possible, but the truth is, its addictive. I have probably tried almost every hair colour out there, and my poor hair is paying the price now. 

Going blonde from black did a number on my hair. The texture of my hair has never been the same and it took me months just to be able to comb through it (even with loads of smoothing products). I purchased various types of hair masks, and still, I wasn't seeing a big difference. As usual, I ignored my mom's advice about using home remedies (I thought she was crazy) but turns out, she was right...AGAIN. 

So, I have compiled a list of hair masks you can make from home that really work. But, don't expect to see significant results the next day, you really have to be consistent and give your hair a break every now and then from all these chemicals. The main ingredients you will need: Avocado, Eggs, Honey & Yogurt. Depending on your hair type, you will use these ingredients differently. 


                                                                                                            Image from Buckingham Post.

Dry Hair: 

If you have dry hair like me, be it side effects of weather, hair colour or your flat iron, using honey will attract and lock in moisture. 

Directions:
Onto clean damp hair, take a half cup of honey and 1 and a half tbsp of olive oil mixed together and massage through your hair. Don't be shy to work through your scalp to the tips. Leave it in your hair for 20-30 minutes and rinse with warm water. Avocados are amazing for skin and hair too, you can also mix 1/2 avocado with 1/2 cup of honey and 1 tbsp of olive oil and apply it to your hair. Doing this treatment at least once a month will bring moisture back into your hair. 


For Dull Hair

I have two tips for livening up dull hair! The first is to use yogurt. Yes, Yogurt! My mom actually uses yogurt on her skin too as a facial mask sometimes! The milk fat in dairy products moisturize your skin and hair. 

Directions: 
Take a half cup of yogurt and massage onto damp hair. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Rinse your hair with warm water and shampoo and condition as regular. You can repeat this treatment every two weeks. 

This next tip is not exactly a home made remedy but consists of natural oils and is very affordable. I usually apply this treatment to my hair once a week and it has done a lot to bring moisture back into my hair! My mother-in-law is a hair stylist and uses Proclaim 7 oils treatment. 

Directions:
You don't need to apply this to clean or damp hair. I usually apply it to dry hair before I take a shower. I leave it in my hair anywhere from 30 mins to two hours. Simply massage the oil from scalp to tips. if you want to find out more about this product click on the link above. 

between $7.00- $9.00 CAD 



Oily Hair 

While some of us suffer from dry and brittle hair, there is a vast majority who are dealing with oily and greasy hair! I have never tried this myself, but apparently it works. This requires much more dedication, but I am sure it's worth it to get rid of that embarrassing grease!

What you need: Cornstarch and empty salt shaker

Directions: Measure 1 tbsp of cornstarch and put it into the empty salt shaker. (Make sure you are using a clean or new salt shaker to avoid salt residue getting onto your hair). On dry hair, sprinkle the cornstarch on your scalp until its done. Leave it in for 10-15 minutes before brushing it out with a hairbrush. Try this a few times a week for best results.

If you are trying this, I'd love to hear how it goes!



All of these treatments are affordable and can be done from the comfort of your home!
Do you have any secret hair treatments that work for you? Have you tried these treatments yourself?

Thats all for now! I hope you are all enjoying your thanksgiving weekend :)

Love always,
Wassal xo

6 comments:

  1. This is definitely something i need! Thank you!! Purchase list: Yogurt, Honey & Olive Oil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna try the avocado, honey and olive oil mask for my dry hair. Thanks bobo jo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any suggestion of hair loss? I am losing hair like crazy... so worried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arianna! I'm sorry to hear :( the only thing I've heard for hair loss is taking multi vitamins. Did you have kids recently or are you pregnant? Because I've heard of hair loss around the time of pregnancy and post pregnancy but it usually grows back. If it's really that much try doing some blood tests to see if you are low on iron or anything. In the meantime use Nioxin hair treatments. It's a bit pricey but it's the best out there and has the best results. I hope it gets better!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Wassaly jaan, I guess after having kids nothing remains the same :-)) No I am not pregnant (in the picture I am).I used to have very heavy, thick and healthy hair. Now it is very thin, light and lifeless... am taking multi vitamins regularly but the Blood test is not a bad idea, never thought about it. I let you know ... take care.

    ReplyDelete